Coily, kinky girls…This one’s for you! A step-by-step on how to safely and easily silk press your beautiful type 4 curls with Design Essentials Natural Agave & Lavender Blow Dry & Silk Press Collection.
In just 4 easy steps, you’ll learn how to tackle the many challenges type 4 curlies face when attempting to thermal style their natural strands into a smooth silk press.
Minus the worry of breakage or damaging the natural curl pattern.
WHAT YOU’LL NEED
- Design Essentials Natural Agave & Lavender Blow Dry & Silk Press Collection
- Carbon Rat Tail Comb for clean partings and flat ironing.
- Gator Clips to secure hair when sectioning. You’ll need 4-6 depending on hair density.
- Ceramic Blow Dryer with Comb Attachment to help detangle as you blow dry.
- Ceramic Flat Iron that heats up to at least 400-425 degrees.
STEP 1: CLEANSE HAIR & SCALP
Apply Agave & Lavender Moisturizing Hair Bath to wet hair and scalp to cleanse, defrizz, and smooth the hair cuticle for an easier blow-dry and silk press. Once lathered into the hair, glide the shampoo from the roots to ends, taking long strokes with your fingers to ensure proper moisture distribution and detangling.
DE Detangling Tip: Type 4 textures are very fragile. Therefore, NEVER use vigorous motions during shampooing – doing so will only agitate the curl pattern; resulting in tangling, knotting, or may cause the hair to snap. Instead use the ‘slip’ of the Moisturizing Hair Bath to glide through the hair with your fingers, as mentioned above.
STEP 2: SOFTEN & DETANGLE
Follow with Agave & Lavender Moisturizing & Detangling Conditioner to soften, detangle, and restore intense moisture to your coils. Use the same finger gliding motion to distribute the reparative conditioner from roots to ends. But due to the high density of type 4 hair, apply the conditioner in small sections to guarantee every coil is properly hydrated.
DE Deep Conditioning Tip: To ensure your type 4 curls bounce back after thermal styling (without any signs of heat damage), we recommend infusing the Moisturizing & Detangling Conditioner into the hair strand with a hooded dryer or hair steamer for 10 to 15 minutes with a plastic processing cap.
STEP 3: PRIME & PERFECT THE BLOW DRY
After shampooing and conditioning, prep and protect your strands before blow-drying with Agave & Lavender Moisturizing Blow-Dry & Style Primer. Shake the product to activate the ingredients, then spray evenly throughout damp hair – this will smooth away signs of damage, mend split ends, and minimize breakage.
Now here’s how to create maximum smoothness during the blow-dry phase:
- Section hair into 4 quadrants using your gator clips.
- Work in one quadrant at a time. Blow-drying 1″ to 2″ sections on low to medium heat.
- Use the comb attachment, starting at the ends, working up the hair to the roots. The comb attachment will easily detangle your type 4 curls and decrease blow-dry time.
- DE Pro Tip: Before applying the comb attachment directly to the hair, stretch each 1″ to 2″ section, and blow-dry 4 to 6 inches away from the hair. This helps elongate and protect the curl pattern from excessive heat.
STEP 4: THERMAL PROTECT & SILK PRESS
This is the step where you need to bring your a-game…The flat-ironing phase! Following these steps with precision, will give you that just left the salon silk press you’re looking for.
First, apply a pea-sized amount of Agave & Lavender Thermal Protectant Creme from roots to ends to your entire head to seal in moisture for superior heat protection (DO NOT over use product). The lightweight creme will also prevent type 4 textures from reverting or “swelling at the roots” while leaving your hair with a high-gloss shine.
Begin to silk press…
- Starting at the nape of the head, flat-iron small 1″ sections at 400 to 425 degrees (depending on hair and density type).
- Get as close to the roots as possible and use the carbon rat tail comb to smoothly guide strands through the thermal tool.
- Do not exceed more than 1-2 passes of the flat-iron in the hair.
After completing the 4-step collection, your hair should be sleek, shiny, and laid to the gods! If desired, give yourself a light trim to rid any split ends and add a bevel or curl to finish the style! But, don’t let all that hard work go to waste, keep your silk press looking great for days to come by following these 5 Maintenance Tips On How To Make Your Silk Press Last.
Click here to watch the full length video of @HeyCurlie transforming from curly to straight using Design Essentials Agave & Lavender Blow Dry & Silk Press Collection.
And don’t forget to tag us in your silk press results on Instagram! Tag @designessentials and use the hashtag #designessentials so Team DE can see your silky tresses!http://blog.designessentials.com/uncategorized/safely-easily-silk-press-type-4-curls/